Friday, July 31, 2009

Cancer Sucks

Well, the title of this post pretty much says it all.
This is not a rant as much as it is me shaking my fist at a fucking shitty disease that kills so many of our loved ones; a disease that after all the advances in modern medicine, we still dont have a handle on.
I went looking for some answers about this because its good to be educated and its important to "know thyne enemy". I found this, which is really great:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CANCER-SUCKS/42304507219

and I was infuriated when I found this:
"A comprehensive, nationwide review found that nearly 4 in 10 patients with stage I pancreatic cancer who are candidates for surgery are not offered this option, even though it has a demonstrated survival benefit."
http://www.cancer.gov/ncicancerbulletin/NCI_Cancer_Bulletin_062607/page4#b

WTF is that about? A relative of mine died of panceatic cancer after a long, painful struggle and after finding this I felt fucking sick to my stomach. She was diagnosed early and they DID NOT offer surgery as an option BUT they did do MONTHS of tests and let the progression of the disease continue unfettered until surgery was NOT an option. They elected to do Chemotherapy instead. I dont reacall ANY of the Oncologists saying anything about surgical resection until it was too late and by then the tumor was surrounding the vessels in her midsection. This pisses me off as you can imagine. WTF is that? This is a fucking travesty. People, you need to get educated and ask questions of your health providers! You can say NO to anything they offer you and you can INSIST on looking into other solutions when necessary. You can demand explanations and alternatives in courses of treatment! If the health care professional you are working with is not able to assist you in doing what you need to do, FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL!! Its your life so demand what you need of these people, they are here to serve your health. Lets not let them forget that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer
This is a good resource for any of you who want to check it out.

and folks, smoking is the leading cause of most cancers so we need to cut that shit out RIGHT FUCKING NOW. I mean it, it will get you. It will.

We love you and miss you Di. I promise I wont shut up about this untill we figure out a cure. I am sorry we couldnt help you. See you.

L8er all.